Monday, October 22, 2007

Basic Econ Tames Wild 10 Year Olds


A helpful hint for any of you who teach Primary

Sunday, Brent was called to team teach the 10 year olds in church. He was cautioned that these kids were the rowdiest group and he may have a hard time keeping them under control. Brent smiled and said he wouldn’t have a problem, he had a secret weapon- Candy Potential.

This method of controlling children in church is the creative genius of my brother. Each Sunday he brought a full size candy bar for each child, put the candy bars on the table in front of them and let them know that this was their candy potential. When they misbehaved, my brother would open their candy bar and take a bite out of it, - many a child would leave his class with a half eaten candy bar in hand.

Brent used this tactic Sunday. He placed two pieces of candy in front of each child, telling them that they had the potential of getting two pieces of candy, but if they acted up, he was going to eat the candy. The ring leader of the group started misbehaving, Brent threatened to eat his candy- the boy said, “Right you’re not going to eat my candy” and Brent said, “Oh, I’m not?” and plopped the chocolate in his mouth. The boy then said, “Well, you’re not going to eat the other one”- and seconds later the child’s last bit of candy was gone. The kid’s eyes widened, they sat in silence for the rest of the class.

Looks like we'll be investing in full-size candy bars on a weekly basis.

7 comments:

Hilary said...

So I teach the CTR 6 class made up of 6 very rowdy boys. I may gain 15 pounds with this tactic - as I am sure they would not make it out the door with more than a morsel of a crunch bar. But - they would love it! Thanks for the tip.

f*bomb. said...

AWESOME.
Along with Kid Nation, I love anything to do with putting children in their place.

Why don't you just stock up on bite-sized Halloween candy? It's still just as much of an incentive, and then Brent won't get fat and embarass us.

ThomCarter said...

This is a much better idea than what my mother did for me when I was a kid. She drew a picture of a bowl of ice cream with several scoops of ice cream. When I was stupid she would erase a scoop. I never got ice cream, but I didn't care. I could always figure a way to get it any way.

If she had candy right there, I am sure that I would have been better!!!

crazy4danes said...

This is AWESOME!!!! :D I would have actually had fun teaching if I used this method! lol

cropstar5 said...

brilliant. i wonder if this would work for young single adults. probably... we're not much smarter than kids.

Sherpa said...

This is brilliant.

Jolly said...

HA! I'm in primary too...hmmm...