Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Captian Obvious to Mike Huckabee, Come in Huckabee

I'm sure you've seen the ad. If not here it is below. It's not the ad that I have issues with, it's Huckabee's response to the blatant cross in the background. When I saw the ad, I thought it was a bold move to put a cross in the background of a political spot- not one that I'd make, but then I found out it was 'unintentional' Taken from CNN.COM:

"Actually I will confess this, if you play this spot backwards it says ‘Paul is Dead, Paul is Dead, Paul is Dead,’” the presidential candidate joked to reporters in Houston Tuesday. “So the next thing you know, someone will be playing it backwards to find out the subliminal messages that are really there.”

The former Arkansas governor said the spot was last-minute and ad-libbed: “They had a bookshelf behind me, a bookshelf. So now I have these people saying, ‘ahhh there was a subtle message there,’” said Huckabee. “….I never cease to be amazed at the manner in which people will try to dissect the simplest messages..."



First, the message is not subtle, it's glaring. The cross literally glows in the background. Second: Do we want a president that didn't notice the gleaming cross directly behind him in his Christmas/political ad? Do we want a president who's staff didn't notice the cross? Either Huckabee is A- Lying and is using humor to deflect the attack or B- Misses the obvious and hires stupid people. But hey, he's quick with his wit, I think he'd be better suited to host late night tv than lead the free world. I consider missing the obvious and hiring idiots disqualifiers for the position of commander in chief.

7 comments:

Steve said...

"I consider missing the obvious and hiring idiots disqualifiers for the position of commander in chief." Wait, doesn't that describe the current President?

I agree. It was a great spot and his marketing people are smart. However, for him to deny it was wrong. He simply should have said, "I can see how people could think that, but it's just a bookshelf." Whether his PR people did it on purpose (me thinks they did), he might have been totally unaware and didn't even see the final cut. The editing would have taken too long for him to sit around and see.

The more I learn about him, the less I think of him. Can't wait until the Jan. 3 fireworks!!!

Salt H2O said...

You're absolutely right, sadly in that election we had to choose between someone who misses the obvious and hires idiots, and a liar with no ethics. (I'm sure you'll argue the current president is both- I personally believe, he just misses the obvious and trusts the wrong people which make him look like a liar with out ethics)

crazy4danes said...

Politics....that's a dark ocean that I really don't like to swim in....

Salt H2O said...

Politics are fun. I love following them.

I'm registered as a Democrat so I can vote for Obama (I LOATHE Hillary) I figure Mitt already has the Utah vote (two words about Mitt, Fiscally Responsible)

My motto for '08- Anyone but Hillary.

I do love Ron Paul.

crazy4danes said...

I'm glad you enjoy politics! And I do follow them but instead of finding humour I get stressed out! :s And I love your motto for '08!

Michael said...

It's funny, I saw the commercial 3 times and didn't even see the cross in the background- so I'm actually buying that he didn't even know it was there- but I assume his people did and that it was intentional. The big thing is, the message is overtly Christian- I don't see why having a cross in the background is some subtle difference at all. While his response is quick witted, I'm thinking mine would have been "Im talking about celebrating the birth of Christ, why would a cross in the background surprise you or be out of place at all?"

Salt H2O said...

Micheal,
You didn't notice the cross? Looks like you just lost my vote for president too.

Yeah, I thought he should just own up to the cross in the background too. It's a universal symbol for Christ.