Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Fabulous Item of the Week- August Rush

We've been having a hard time finding movies we want to see this Holiday season. If you're in the same boat, and haven't seen August Rush- now you've got something to do Friday night. I’m a sucker for Robin Williams and that cute kid from Finding Neverland. I love, love, love this movie. It could have easily added a sex scene and chose not to, which is rare. The plot is too mature for children, but appropriate for teenagers and their parents. The movie is slow at times, and predictable, but the beauty of the film and the music, the wonderful music compensate for all flaws.



I don’t like Chick Flicks. I'd rather listen to William Hung's Christmas album than watch movies like Hope Floats and The Notebook. Live Free Die Hard was my favorite 2007 film until August Rush. This is by no means a 'girly' flim. I did watch most of the movie with tears streaming down my face (which doesn’t say much, this is the same girl who cried during the preview for I Am Sam)when the closing credits were rolling, you could hear the sniffles of the audience. Great 'date night' movie. You leave the theater feeling good.

8 comments:

adam said...

Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds like one my wife would really like...

I agree with you on Hope Floats--my friends and I often refered to it as Crap Floats. : ) However, the first time I say The Notebook I was on a plane on the way home from Japan (where I had been studying for 4 months). I had just gotten engaged before I left, so you can imagine, I ate up all the sappiness.

The second time was on the honeymoon, and we were both crying our eyes out. TMI. : )

I did like Die Hard a lot.

chloe elizabeth said...

Not to be combative, but I did not like the movie at all, which is rare as I am usually very easily entertained. I didn't like Robin Williams in it. I didn't like Freddie Highmore's character. I don't expect reality when I go to movies, but this was a bit much, even for me. I honestly laughed and scenes I think were supposed to be touching.

On the redeeming side, I always love Keri Russell, and she did a great job in this movie. There just wasn't enough of her. And I did like the music.

I'm glad someone out there liked it, though.

Sara S said...

If you want to see another great movie, go see Martian Child. It's excellent. John Cusak is great in it. It's playing at the Dollar movies right now, so it will be on DVD soon, if not already. I highly recommend it.

Salt H2O said...

Hardly combatitive. Yes, the temporary suspension of reality is aboslutely required. Maybe I was just in the right mood when I saw it. You have to admit, it was better than Waitress.

I saw Enchanted and I was expecting so much I was disappointed. I think I'm the only person out there who was bored during that movie. Maybe because the best parts were in the commercials.

Salt H2O said...

Martian child, I wanted to see that! I'm a sucker for John Cusak too.

Steve said...

Oiy, I couldn't even get through the trailer of August Rush without rolling my eyes! haha.

I am totally looking forward to the National Treasure sequel next weekend, but that guilty pleasure will probably get pushed back for Charlie Wilson's war. I usually don't like Tom Hanks post Forrest Gump, but the historical/biographical aspect interests me. Juno looks pretty good too.

crazy4danes said...

I too am looking forward to the National Treasure movie. Those are my types of movies. I do want to see Martian Child though really bad! Enchanted looked lame so I didn't bother, however, my mom loved it. My favorites that I saw this year were...Pan's Labrynth, Pirates, Knocked Up, Super Bad (which suprised me because I usually don't like those types of comedies), Transformers (I know you didn't like that one), Blood Diamond, Fracture, and 300, just to name a few :)

Cameron said...

My wife dragged me to the movie for a date night, and I admit I only went to make her happy. I had some initial problems with the suspension of belief requirement, but by the end I was cheering it on. A really solid movie.