Monday, December 10, 2007

You Say Tomato...


A number of perfect strangers have told me with authority that I pronounce Poinsettia incorrectly. Looks like everywhere outside of Southern California people pronounce it Poinsetta, minus the i. Spell my name incorrectly or think I'm male due to the unisex nature of my name, no biggie- but mock me for the proper pronunciation of a Christmas flower originating from my home town, (Poinsettias originated in Encinitas California, hence the Poinsettia Bowl)- I'm ready to put my green belt in action and start throwing fists. Oh yes, I have a green belt in Tae Kwon Doe, which is pretty much a black belt. (the ranking goes Black, Brown, Red, Purple, Green, so you see, I'm deadly) Once I ordered a Gyro (yee-ro) and the waitress said with disdain, "It's pronounced Giero". Utahans should never correct anyone one else on their pronunciation, just as I should never correct anyone on their spelling.

12 comments:

Will & Natalie Giddens said...

What?!? People pronounce it pon-setta? To take a line from "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?": That don't make no sense!

Salt H2O said...

They prounounce the first i but leave out the second. poin-setta. It's probably because most people have never spelled it out- really, who talks about pointsettias? (aside from me, for some reason I love the flower- maybe because it's beautiful, and deadly- like me and my green belt :)

crazy4danes said...

That is so funny because I've had people say that too except they've asked me "don't you mean Poin setta?" to which I reply no I have no idea what a Poin setta is but I sure as heck know what a PoinsettIa is! And the Gyro pronuciation drives me nut too! ;P Utahns...you gotta love their intelligence! LOL

Spencer said...

There's more than one way to skin a cat:

http://m-w.com/dictionary/poinsettia

Click the second speaker icon and listen.

Salt H2O said...

Spencer,
Thanks for the link- Since when is the 'i' silent in english? I must have missed that grammar lesson.

Because I hail from the city which made the pointsettia famous, and it is indeed a mexican flower, our pronuciation trumps webster.

I wonder how webster would pronounce La Jolla.

Steve said...

I wonder if the "i" is similar to the "i" in Pennsylvania. So do YOU pronounce it Poin-sett-ya? I've always heard the version you are derailing, but here on the east coast, we only see those flowers/plants for two weeks out of the year at our grandma's house.

Gyro is a tricky one. But here is support for you....
http://www.dcgreeks.com/gyro_and_souvlaki.asp
About half way down the page. Being in europe and hearing them say it, it's clear that English doesn't have the proper sound that the real word has, but your version IS the correct way to say it not knowing Greek. :)

Salt H2O said...

Good Point about Penn., it reminds me of how the governator was mocked for how he pronounced California- when in reality he was using the proper pronucniation.

As poinsettia is spanish the IA is pronouced, just like TIAjuana.

I don't have issues with those that drop the I. Just those that then correct me for saying it 'incorrectly'

Allie said...

I always pronounced Gyro like Yuro, well maybe a little more e, but not completely Yeero.

Cameron said...

Oh you uppity Californians with your correct pronunciations. Don't come into our state and try to change things!

Steve said...

Hey! I was watching tv this morning and the guy pronounced the word just like you! Now I know, haha.

Jonesy said...

So just out of curiosity - what is that space called, you know, the one outside of the chapel where the couches are ? What do you call that ?

Anonymous said...

vestibule!