Sunday, March 23, 2008

Socially Inept in Provo

My sister is 20, single and living in Provo. I love her stories of stalkers, it makes me appreciate marriage all the more. Below is an email from her.

Ok, so this guy came into my work yesterday. He was one of those guys that just wanted to talk, and I knew he wasn't going to leave, so I talked. I was friendly, and myself. He came back in later and was there for like a half hour before coming up to me and saying, with his eyes closed, looking very nervous, "are you seeing anyone...?..... do you want to hang out..??.... no pressure....?" And he was a fairly nice guy, not too attractive, kinda different but I was just friendly talking to him and there are situations when guys ask for numbers and I can easily say 'no' but this guy was nice and he looked so nervous asking me I couldn't. So today I get this 4 page text from him saying, 'Hello pretty girl! This is John from this student store- you know, the tall blond with glasses that hit on you? I hope you remember because I can't get you out of my head. It's been a long time since I have felt romantic feelings between me and a girl. I could stare at you all day, deep into you eyes, wondering what you really feel underneath the giggling and flirtiness. I hope to see you again soon- maybe we can meet on campus for lunch. Ttyl, you friend, Jake.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!??!"


It's so much funnier when it's not happening to you.

11 comments:

adam said...

Poor kid. He needs a dating coach. I was pretty inept when I got home from my mission, but fortunately a friend of mine from Brazil was living at my house at the time, and I got plenty of advice.

Ben & Kimberly McEvoy said...

that pretty much sums it up for me. man i am just left here thinking how glad i am that blogs didnt exist when i was trying to ask girls out. The Horror!!!!

Tom Quinn. said...

This is really weird. I don't think it's just girls, because I'm pretty sure this same "Jake" was hitting on me a couple of weeks ago. We should have never hung out. Things ended badly.

Tom Quinn. said...

I just read through a number of your other posts, and I enjoyed them. (You can't hear it, but right now I'm clapping for you.)

jiners said...

I think I got the same text from my now husband...weird!:)

Jeri and Amy said...

Yeah, this is NOTHING compared to the weird stalkers I seemed to be a magnet for! (hello! Ms. America guy!)
Tell Kels to use caution with the shy guys who awkwardly ask you out-- they are often the ones who try to molest you when you go out with them! Believe me, I know from sad experience! The "pity date" can end in a restraining order!

Salt H2O said...

Adam- It would be great if all new RM's found a female friend to help them re-adjust to the world of dating.

Ben- I have a hard time believing you were anything but smooth.

Jake- I can feel the applause and I thank you!

Jiners- From a husband it's ok, from a first encounter...psycho!

Amy- And you say you have nothing to blog about! You who has been locked in a bedroom by a stalker, you who was flown to Lake Tahoe to go to Prom with a guy you had met once...'sometimes you don't get what you want you get what you need' ...you really need to record these experiences for posterty (and for our reading pleasure! )

Sneakers said...

I'm mortified for your sister.

Cameron said...

This really happens?! And I thought my sisters were making it up...

Vanilla Vice said...

Creepy. Guys are too lazy in Ca to write a 4 page text. It would be one page, and it would tell you where the party is at.

f*bomb. said...

There are so many things wrong with that text, I can't even begin...
But- does he know if his name is "John," or "Jake"? Because it appears to be unclear...