Wednesday, June 11, 2008

If it's yellow let it mello

I have a disgusting habit I attribute to growing up in the middle of a drought. I have a hard time remembering to flush. I think it's wrong to flush our waste with water fit to drink. You'd think by now more companies would be finding a way to use grey water to flush toilets but I could only find one- in the UK.

I'm sure some resourceful Californian will design as simple system for flushing as they are now officially in a worse drought than the nineties, thanks to the shad. Californians can no longer pump water from the deltas.

Growing up in a drought gave me some good habits as well. I can shower using less than a minute's worth of water and I always wash my car on the grass (that is if it gets washed...I figure never washing it is REALLY good for the environment). So be prepared if a large number of the toilets in this world go unflushed because we're going to have an entire state living by the mantra: "If it's yellow let it mellow if it's brown flush it down."

7 comments:

crazy4danes said...

LOL...I remember those days! We installed low flow toilets in our house...so they don't hold much water in the bowl, so not flushing is just gross at our house! However 3 flushes on the new toilet equal 1 on the old ones, so I don't feel bad. :D

Anonymous said...

Oh what a memory. Some times your memory serves you well.

Steve said...

I think low flow toilets should be required in this country (even in every home) like it is pretty much everywhere else in the world.

Melissa said...

I remember that catch phrase! I'm not cool with it though, too many little ones who have tried playing in the bathroom... ick.

jiners said...

They have the coolest toilets in Japan! Because water is so expensive there, they fill the toliet with water you used washing your hands in the sink. Only Asians could think of something so brillant!

Jewels said...

I can tell you grew up in San Diego because no one else had to listen to that "song" on the radio reminding us of the drought.

Allie said...

I was looking through a catalog awhile back and saw a toilet like jiners mentioned-It had a small sink on the back of it then the water you washed your hands with is used to flush.