Monday, April 6, 2009

Unwarranted Arrogance

When I was single I often met boys who were not that attractive, didn't have an impressive career, weren't terribly dynamic, definitely didn't have any money, and were moderately intelligent at best- but completely arrogant.

I can understand a bit of arrogance when you're Brad Pitt, but nothing annoyed me more than unwarranted arrogance.

This past week one of Obama's comments has gotten a lot of press- that America is arrogant. If America is indeed arrogant when it comes to our European counterparts it may have something to do with our forefathers dying to liberate Europe, our tax dollars continually flowing into Europe and the rest of the world for aid, leading the world in charitable contributions and when ever there is some major dispute in the world, all eyes are to the U.S. of A. to do something about it.

It's funny that no one complains about the US arrogance when they're asking for our help.

Maybe someone who's forefathers didn't die in World Wars would think their sacrifice trite, maybe someone who doesn't sacrifice to give to charities that assist foreign nations would think the contributions minimal. It's those that have never lived by the Mexican border that would apologize for the American bodies getting in the way of Mexican drug cartel bullets. It's this unwarranted arrogance with which I take issue.

Good job B.O.- apologize for America in France- the HQ of unwarranted arrogance. Explain why he can apologize for our country when he has taken no part in the sacrifices this country has made.

I ask what has the president done that warrants his arrogance?

9 comments:

Robin said...

You took the words right out of my mouth and said them better. And another thought in my little brain...Who cares what they think? Do we change ourselves to comply to to frenemy expectations? NO! If our forefathers did that we would never had become such a great nation. BO really worries me.

adam said...

I don't think arrogance is ever warranted, and I also think most of us have plenty. Admitting it is the first step to recovery. So, are you saying that apologizing for arrogance, is in fact, unwarranted arrogance? I like it! :)

Salt H2O said...

aplogizing for your own arrogance is fine, taking it upon yourself to call others arrogant and then apologize for them is indeed very arrogant.

adam said...

Gotcha. That makes a lot of sense to me, believe it or not! :)

davers said...

There's something to which Obama is completely oblivious. That is that populism will only get you so far, and in the end, nobody respects a mere populist, and it seems Obama is a mere populist.

There are good populists. The founders of this nation were largely populists, fighting mainly for change where people would be free from the unfair and unwarranted oppression of a distant power. When the time came to build up a new nation they were capable of letting go of their spite, unite the people in a greater cause, and create the "UNITED" states.

That was not an easy thing to do, and President Washington could have easily engaged in a retributive policy of punishing loyalists, putting them to death and throwing them in prison. He did not. He was a uniter of his people and stood for the best, promoting the best all citizens had to offer.

There are bad populists too. Those who rose to power solely on the campaign of change, who never let go of the blame game that got them elected, never built up anything except for greater fear and retribution ... ultimately destroying themselves in a "final solution" designed after the nature of their original populist campaign.

This last public display by Obama proves to me which camp to which he belongs. He is still running his pre-election campaign. He, sadly, has not transformed into a President. He is not a uniter of anyone except for those sympathetic of his original party. I'm very sad to admit that he, as a populist, has dashed my hopes of ever becoming one to represent all his constituents - which now includes me. Rather his continued blame game of the 48% who did not vote for him seems all consuming to the point of putting his personal need for global acceptance above the needs of his countrymen.

In short, there is little to nothing that this false pandering will do for anyone except validate incorrect perceptions that have been fuming since the days this country was founded.

What a shame.

adam said...

"I'm very sad to admit that he, as a populist, has dashed my hopes of ever becoming one to represent all his constituents">

It's still a little soon, is it not, to write someone off? I mean, really, I think I gave W. at least 6 months in office before my hopes were all dashed.

Also, I don't think any leader can represent ALL of their constituents. I do think, however, that it would be nice to have someone who had somewhere around an 80% approval rating (NOT based on fear or entitlement, of course), but I don't know if that will ever be possible.

jiners said...

What about French Canadians? They are way worse than the French! Comment about French Canadians!

Steve said...

Jiners is right! Especially the hockey fans! haha.

But seriously, I believe what Obama was mostly referring to is how the US was the past 8 years. We WERE an arrogant government, "with us or against us". Government relationships aren't one on one, but the leader, the President in our case, is the face and rightly or wrongly the perception of the country rests in his words. Bush made us all look like arrogant cowboys. Obama won the election and is now trying to win our friends back by apologizing for the past eight years, not America as a whole.

It's kind of like how if you are a jerk at home for a few weeks and then you realize it, you say "sorry, I was a jerk or wrong" and you try to make peace with your SO. Other countries are our SO in world politics and Obama is just trying to reverse our 'sleeping on the couch'. :)

Jo's Outlet said...

I think I always agree with you, Salty. There are a lot of possible excuses to be made for Obama, but I think you nailed it on the head.