Friday, July 24, 2009

Your Tax Dollars Bought My Car

This cash for clunkers program is a completely flawed program. The individuals who drive cars that would qualify as a 'clunker' can't afford to buy a new car. Or if they can afford a new car and their car is classified as a clunker it's worth more than $4500 so they'd just resell it.

I've been driving my 2000 Grand Jeep Cherokee for 7 years an I was determined to drive it until it rolled over and died. My 4 wheel drive is out which makes it not the most terribly safe car in the world and it's blue book value is under $2,000. The transmission is slipping, it has over 135,000 miles on it and I'm concerned about safety with the new baby. I feel like it could die any day or last another year and a half.

The husband works for Ford and we get a pretty sweet discount. We also qualify for 0%financing. We are the perfect storm that this bill was designed for. So am I buying a hybrid? No. I'm buying an Edge. I'm trading in my SUV for a more economical cross-over all wheel drive. You'll probably find truck drivers trading in their old trucks for new trucks with better gas mileage.

Congress set out to create a bill that would encourage people to get rid of their old gas guzzlers and buy cars that would have a less damaging effect on the environment. The cash for clunkers program will have little to no effect on the environment and a good portion of the money will most likely go unused due to the stipulations put on the bill. If congress can't perfect a program as simple as getting environmentally damaging cars off the road- why are we going to trust them with brain surgery?

8 comments:

brent said...

All I can do is sigh. When will the social engineers in our government learn that all their loopy, silly ideas favor the few, have a gazillion unintended consequences, and ultimately don't (can't) achieve their aims? Human beings aren't lumps of clay to be molded by someone else's will.

And I like the Edge. Well chosen!

Sherpa said...

The cash for clunkers is a lame program. But I don't think the program was ever targeted at the poor-but those who can afford a new car.


Oh, Congress is going to perform brain surgery? This I have to see. Tell me when?

Robin said...

I have 3 clunkers right now...i need to check this out.

Steve said...

Salty - Actually, the program, although not perfect, is working. It was designed to do two things, 1) "save the environment" by getting people into more gas efficient vehicles (although I feel the requirements are still too "nice") and 2) stimulate US car sales. It is doing both. I just heard on NPR yesterday about how sales are up at a lot of US car dealerships since the inception of this program.

Also, you aren't limited to the $4500. It is a credit that can be added to the trade in value of your car. So if you trade in $10,000 in a vehicle (ya, right!), you essentially are getting $14,500 as your down payment!!!

Steve said...

Here is the NPR link.

Alice said...

I'm glad to hear the program did some good, because it sure seemed stupid.

Congrats on the new car Kory. I'm saving up for a new RAV4, unless by the time I have money for one, there's something I like better.... Prius Wagon maybe? :)

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://cahuzuki.arcadepages.com/tahofug.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://hinizihazu.lookseekpages.com/kolaci.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich