Monday, August 9, 2010

'You can all go to hell. I'm going to Texas'

You know those super obnoxious Texans that won't shut up about how great Texas is?
Yes, I'm one of them.

I grew up in San Diego California. The place where it's 72 degrees year round, quite possibly the most perfect climate on the planet. You could see the beach from my high school classrooms. I'd ditch school to drive my jeep CJ 5 up and down the coast. I dream every night about running on the beach. The beach is my first love. When it comes to material possesions, my main goal in life is to have a house on the beach. But I'm a Texan.

I love Texas.

I love that people put their state flag on bumper stickers, watercoolers, notebooks, t-shirts and state that they are a Texan will unapologetic pride. Unapologetic pride in who you are and where you live, it's hard to find in Americans but it runs ample in Texas.

It's over 100 degrees outside, with NO beach, but Texas feels like home.

"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation
in every sense of the word" - Author John Steinbeck

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas, it is the garden spot of the world,
the best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is
a fortune to any man to come here" - Alamo hero Davey Crockett

"Texas is neither southern nor western. Texas is Texas" - Senator William Blakley

"I love Texas because Texas is future-oriented, because Texans think anything
is possible. Texans think big" Senator Phil Gramm

3 comments:

Sarah Wieda said...

Any Ute exposed to your obnoxious BYU game behavior knew you were a Texan LONG before you did.

Tasha said...

This post made me happy!
So glad you are loving TX!

Cindy said...

Man I miss Texas. Wish I could be there with you. I'm so glad you are loving it!