Thursday, November 8, 2012

Come Together = Give Up on What You Believe In


1.  Liberals: Do not tell conservatives it's time to 'Come Together'- we all know you mean 'give up on what you believe in and support my ideals' or 'we won, so shut up'.  I'd like to remind you of something our MIA Secretary of State Said: 

“I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you’re not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration.”

In short: before you lecture me on 'coming together' give me a freakin' week to lick my wounds.

2.  "I felt like I was going to puke" is the MOST common response I've received from all of my conservative friends about this election.  I'm not talking 1 or 2 people, half of the people I've talked to since Tuesday, via email, text, phone or face to face have said  "As soon as I heard Obama had won I felt like I was going to vomit"  This is not the same reaction supporters of McCain had in 2008, nor when Clinton won in 1992.  Obama supporters do not fully comprehend how emotionally invested Romney supporters were. Not Mormon Romney supporters- the MAJORITY of Romney supporters.  

In short: before you tell me how Obama isn't a liberal and how I should carry on optimistically about his presidency give me a freakin' week to lick my wounds. 

3.  After Obama's re-election was official I turned to my husband and said "if you want a particular gun- buy it-buy it now" On November 7th he sat on hold for 1.5 hours waiting to talk to a sales rep at a particular shop- to find out the gun he wants now has a 9 month waiting list.  Looks like we weren't the only ones who's first reaction to the election was to buy a gun. I want it strictly from an investment standpoint- and given the president's first act as president elect- I'd say it's a good call. 

4.  The stocks plummeting to as a reaction to the European financial crisis on the very day after Obama wins re-election is the same coincidence that there were spontaneous riots to a random YoutTube video on 9/11. Boeing announces major layoffs the day after the election. Tell yourself whatever lies make you feel better- but they don't make us feel better- and don't tell me they should- see number 1. 

I don't want this country to fail- I don't want our president to fail. But for the love of Pete, if you supported Obama, and you won- please sit silently in your smug victory and be a gracious winner, Even 5 year old soccer teams once they win go over and give the other team a high-five and say 'Good game' not "suck it up- we won". 

10 comments:

goddessdivine said...

Add me to the "wanted to puke" list.

Half this country is infected with an entitlement mentality, and the guy who promised all the free stuff won.

I have one gun in my possession; maybe I should buy another....

Sneakers said...

Republicans, conservatives, and Romney supporters everywhere should be really upset with the media, the pundits, and the party leadership. I don't know that they deliberately misled their viewers/members, but certainly misrepresented the strength of Romney's position. Unseating an incumbent president is always really hard. From the day that Romney won the nomination, I knew that the math just didn't add up: his chance of winning was very slim, and I refused to get excited about it. Even with the full weight of the party apparatus, the electoral math just didn't add up.

So, I was surprised that so many people were surprised by the outcome of the election. Look at the outcome. Even if you give Mitt OH, VA, and FL, he still comes up short.

The Atomic Mom said...

I"m one of GoddessDivine's friends ... pukey, pukey, pukey at my house, and I'm not talking about my toddlers. You are right about all of this! THank you.

Lisa said...

I have an email that you need to read, sent to me from my aunt, who happens to be the wife of Utah's Adjutant General of the National Guard. It will give you a tremendous perspective. Send me your email, and I'll get it to you.

heidiluxe said...

HEAR HEAR! this loss hurts so much because i really believed in this candidate. and i'm not just sick, i'm angry. i'm angry that my husband works ridiculously long hours, we pay 50% of our income in taxes, we never buy anything new or even remotely new and that isn't going to change in the near future, through no fault of our own.
and i'm furious that so many important facts have been buried for the past 4 years. ignorance is bliss for a majority of this country.

Alice said...

I support you in needing time to lick your wounds, so to speak. However, if you're going to use the example of 5-year-olds playing soccer, we teach them that it's not okay to say "I'm going to vomit" just because they lost.

I'm disappointed that no one I voted for won. Not one candidate, but I'm sure life will go on. I hope Obama does some good things this go round that we can all feel good about.

Salt H2O said...

Alice- I don't think I adequately conveyed the physical reaction to this particular election. It wasn't an emotional "oh my gosh, I want to puke" but a genuine feeling of nausea when Obama's win was announced. I even took some Zofran- it didn't help. People talked about eating dinner and then loosing their appetite- setting down the fork and not eating until well into the next day. It's something I find incredibly intriguing as I have never had this physical reaction to an election before- nor have I heard so many others with a similar response. I didn't feel this way when he won the first time- and I asked those that were republicans when Clinton won if they felt that way then- they all said no.

Maybe Al Gore supporters felt something similar when Bush won- but when I say "I wanted to vomit" it's not with the over-exageration of a 13 year old girl- I literally felt like the food in my stomach was going to come up. As did many many others. A very real physical manifestation of our emotional state.

Alice said...

I didn't vote for Al Gore, so I can't say if anyone else felt that way, but it wasn't an issue for me. I've noticed a particularly strong reaction among Romney supporters, I guess I just don't get why the reaction is so major. Maybe I'm just used to not having my person win, so I'm jaded... I've had too many people say mean things in front of me about all the idiots who voted for Obama, so I'm a bit tender about that (even though I didn't vote for him, most of my family did).

Hope you're feeling better soon anyway. :)

Salt H2O said...

We all know republicans have more than their fair share of idiots- especially in Utah!

The UnMighty said...

I've never taken a week to lick emotional wounds. But, I have taken more than ten minutes to lick my fingers clean after eating a bag of potato chips, which seems like a long time. So go ahead. Take all the time you need.