Wednesday, January 6, 2016

How to Kill IT at Your High School Reunion

I was not popular in high school.  I was not unpopular.  I was not attractive, I was slightly overweight, was not athletic, I was fairly bright, but no real intellectual, I was involved in a few clubs and had maybe 3 close friends, but wasn’t really bullied. I ate lunch by myself every day in the 7th grade.




I left my 10 year reunion thinking “man, that was incredibly awkward and boring” you end up running into people that you have no history with and trying to have a conversation with them.  I didn’t want to go to my 20 year reunion however, there were a number of people I did want to see- so I went to the reunion with a plan- and it worked:  I walked away knowing I had more fun than anyone else there- I killed it. Here’s how:

3 Questions
You don’t care what that guy from Algebra does for a living- so why ask? What you want is an interesting conversation with an old acquaintance that may last 8 minutes.  Ask a mundane question, you get mundane answers.  I had 3 questions I asked everyone:

1- What is the best thing you’ve had to eat in the past 20 years?
I heard fabulous stories of food adventures around the globe- I saw pictures of food I had never heard of- people asked me if they could think about it- and then found me later to tell me their stories.  The best part: my best food story is very pedestrian so I did zero talking.

2- Have you ever been on a reality tv show?
In a graduating class of 500 who graduated right before shows like ‘Elimindate and Singled Out” aired I knew there had to be some reality tv stars.  I found out that Hustler had a reality show that never got aired – after I heard that story I referred to that classmate as “Hustler” for the rest of the night.  I learned that there was actually a reality show producer in my graduating class.  Better yet, I had never been on a reality tv show so I was a great listener

3- Have you ever been in jail?
That was the surprise hit question.  My friend’s husband had this amazing story about being thrown in a Slovakian prison.  I found out that the family who first took me toilet papering was in the mob.   I have never been in jail so it gave me a great opportunity again to listen.

When listening to someone tell you an incredibly interesting story- it’s easy to be a great conversationalist- I just had to be quiet and ask interesting questions.   

Two last pieces of advice on killing it:  If there was someone who wronged you- forgive them.  You’d hate to be judged on how you acted when you were 16 when you’re 38.   If you can’t forgive them, avoid them.  2- The real key to being happy at the reunion- don’t try to impress anyone- we wouldn’t worry what people thought of us if we knew how seldom they did.


So if you’re on the fence about going to your reunion- go, and  kill it.


That's Me with my friend Jason-  who also Killed It at the reunion- because he takes himself very seriously. 

3 comments:

Silvs said...

I love this. You're awesome.

Robin said...

I love this post.

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh! BRILLIANT! My 30 year is coming up. I've put your questions into my smart phone. I'll report back what I learn.